First day of school!
It was the first day of school! A great day and a great start to the year. We are thrilled to be a part of the Wilkes family again.
Regarding the robot pictured above…Sam came up with that slogan himself. He’s developing a great wit. This robot has an ultrasonic sensor in the front. When it senses your hand or foot there (or another robot because the boys battle them with neighbors), it comes SMASHING down! It dents the wood floors! Our friends are surprised we let this go on, but I am thinking it’s just a floor, and there are many scratches already. When I’m 65 and still living here (IF I am), then I will see those dents and fondly recall Sam’s crazy robot! I will miss these boys horribly! If we have to sell the house, well, there are several big projects. We will also need a bulldozer to fill in the large mine in the back…so it really is no big deal.
Sam is reading Sherlock Holmes now. Yesterday I was trying to piece together something that had happened, talking about a few little signs. I forget what it was. But Sam said “Way to put together the evidence, Sherlock.” It was so funny!
OK – summer keywords – these are the things that remind me of summer with the boys, in no particular order:
- Roller hockey, and now ice hockey – vigorous street hockey on our cement pad, hockey balls in the gutters, the sound of hockey balls smacking the garage door
- Mountain biking
- Robot battles with friends
- Khan Academy for learning in astronomy, biology, cryptography, and more
- Rock hounding, Rock Candy Mine road trip
- Stairway to Heaven (Sam is learning this)
- Endurance (Shackleton’s incredible voyage, which Sam read)
- Cream Soda Crew jobs and service projects with friends!
- Soccer – Ben kicks the ball constantly up against the garage door (how that garage door isn’t peeling or dented I don’t know!)
- Slack line – they use it to balance AND bounced up and down, trying to shake each other off the “roost”